Westley H. Reeves, MD
|MD||Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT|
|Residency||Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||Rockefeller University Hospital, New York, NY||Rheumatology|
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
Dr. Reeves’ and associates’ research focuses on the mechanisms of autoimmunity in systemic autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), polymyositis, and Sjogren’s syndrome. They have found that the hydrocarbon oil pristane induces a lupus-like syndrome in normal mice characterized by the production of high levels of antinuclear antibodies specific for SLE as well as immune complex-mediated glomerulonephritis and arthritis. Using cytokine knockout mice, they have found that pristane-induced lupus is strongly dependent on IL-6 and interferon-g . The hypothesis that different manifestations of lupus (clinical and serological) result from the overproduction of these and other cytokines is being investigated in patients from the UF Lupus Research Center and in animal models in order to understand the interrelationships between genetic predisposition and environmental triggers of autoimmune disease.
Journal of Experimental Medicine; Molecular Biology Reports; Modern Rheumatology; Clinical Immunology; Autoantigens, Autoantibodies, Autoimmunity (Co-Editor); Textbook of the Autoimmune Diseases (Co-Editor)
NIH Immunological Sciences Study Section; Secretary/Treasurer, IUIS/WHO/AF/CDC Antinuclear Antibody Standardization Committee; Medical & Scientific Committee and Board of Directors, Arthritis Foundation, Florida Chapter; Program Committee, The Henry Kunkel Society
- Satoh M, A Kumar, YS Kanwar, and WH Reeves. Antinuclear antibody production and immune complex glomerulonephritis in BALB/c mice treated with pristane. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92:10934-10938 (1995).
- Richards HB, M Satoh, M Shaw, C Libert, V Poli, and WH Reeves. IL-6 dependence of anti-DNA antibody production: evidence for two pathways of autoantibody formation in pristane-induced lupus. J Exp Med 188:985-990 (1998).
- Wang J, X Dong, and WH Reeves. A model for Ku heterodimer assembly and interaction with DNA: implications for the function of Ku antigen. J Biol Chem 273:31068-31074 (1998).
- Satoh M, VM Shaheen, PN Kao, T Okano, M Shaw, H Yoshida, HB Richards, and WH Reeves. Autoantibodies define a family of proteins with conserved double-stranded RNA binding domains as well as DNA-binding activity. J Biol Chem 274:34598-34604 (1999).
- Satoh M, JP Weintraub, H Yoshida, VM Shaheen, HB Richards, M Shaw, and WH Reeves. Fas and Fas ligand mutations inhibit autoantibody production in pristane-induced lupus. J Immunol 165:1036-1043 (2000).
“Toll-like Receptor 7-Stimulated Tumor Necrosis Factor a Causes Bone Marrow Damage in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus” – Supplementary Data
Please click here for a list of Dr. Reeves’ industry relationships.