Westley H. Reeves, MD
|MD||Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT|
|Residency||Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||Rockefeller University Hospital, New York, NY||Rheumatology|
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Dr. Reeves’ and associates’ research focuses on the mechanisms of autoimmunity in systemic autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), polymyositis, and Sjogren’s syndrome. They have found that the hydrocarbon oil pristane induces a lupus-like syndrome in normal mice characterized by the production of high levels of antinuclear antibodies specific for SLE as well as immune complex-mediated glomerulonephritis and arthritis. Using cytokine knockout mice, they have found that pristane-induced lupus is strongly dependent on IL-6 and interferon-g . The hypothesis that different manifestations of lupus (clinical and serological) result from the overproduction of these and other cytokines is being investigated in patients from the UF Lupus Research Center and in animal models in order to understand the interrelationships between genetic predisposition and environmental triggers of autoimmune disease.
- Journal of Experimental Medicine; Molecular Biology Reports; Modern Rheumatology; Clinical Immunology; Autoantigens, Autoantibodies, Autoimmunity (Co-Editor); Textbook of the Autoimmune Diseases (Co-Editor)
- NIH Immunological Sciences Study Section; Secretary/Treasurer, IUIS/WHO/AF/CDC Antinuclear Antibody Standardization Committee; Medical & Scientific Committee and Board of Directors, Arthritis Foundation, Florida Chapter; Program Committee, The Henry Kunkel Society
- Han S, Zhuang H, Xu Y, Lee P, Li Y, Wilson JC, Vidal O, Choi HS, Sun Y, Yang LJ, Reeves WH. Maintenance of autoantibody production in pristane-induced murine lupus. Arthritis Res Ther. 2015 Dec 30;17(1):384. PMID: 26717913.
- Xie C, Zhang Y, Tran TD, Wang H, Li S, George EV, Zhuang H, Zhang P, Kandel A, Lai Y, Tang D, Reeves WH, Cheng H, Ding Y, Yang LJ. Irisin Controls Growth, Intracellular Ca2+ Signals, and Mitochondrial Thermogenesis in Cardiomyoblasts. PLoS One. 2015 Aug 25;10(8):e0136816. PMID: 26305684.
- Zhuang H, Szeto C, Han S, Yang L, Reeves WH. Animal Models of Interferon Signature Positive Lupus. Front Immunol. 2015 Jun 5;6:291. PMID: 26097482.
- Han S, Zhuang H, Shumyak S, Yang L, Reeves WH. Mechanisms of autoantibody production in systemic lupus erythematosus. Front Immunol. 2015 May 13;6:228. PMID: 26029213.
- Xu Y, Zhuang H, Han S, Liu C, Wang H, Mathews CE, Massini J, Yang L, Reeves WH. Mechanisms of tumor necrosis factor α antagonist-induced lupus in a murine model. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015 Jan;67(1):225-37. PMID: 25252121.
“Toll-like Receptor 7-Stimulated Tumor Necrosis Factor a Causes Bone Marrow Damage in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus” – Supplementary Data
Please click here for a list of Dr. Reeves’ industry relationships.